Microsoft Windows Compute Cluster Server and
Windows HPC Server 2008
Integration with Parallel Computing Toolbox and MATLAB Distributed Computing Server
Parallel Computing Toolbox and MATLAB Distributed Computing Server directly support Microsoft Windows Compute Cluster Server 2003 (CCS) and Microsoft Windows HPC Server 2008 (HPCS). As a result, the products can be used in most computing environments managed by these schedulers without any extra setup. It is possible to customize the integration of MathWorks products for your specific requirements by modifying the integration scripts, which use the underlying generic scheduler interface API available with the products.
With these Microsoft products, the toolbox and the server use Microsoft's implementation of MPI (MS-MPI) and not the default MPI distribution that is shipped with the toolbox and the engine. Callbacks and dynamic addition of tasks to running jobs are not supported for either of these Microsoft products.
Microsoft Windows CCS and Windows HPCS offer several features, including:
- Ability to manage multiple applications that include MathWorks parallel computing products
- Simplified cluster deployment and management with monitoring tools, setup wizards for networking, installation services, and cluster security
- Integration with existing Windows infrastructure, letting you use existing tools for system, workload, user, and security management
- Integrated MPI layer based on MPI-2 standard. The toolbox and the server use Microsoft's implementation of MPI (MS-MPI) for both Windows CCS and Windows HPCS,
- Integration with Visual Studio, including support for parallel applications with debugging capabilities
- Support for job templates (HPCS feature), job description files, and SOA jobs (HPCS feature)
The following resources provide information on Windows Compute Cluster Server 2003 and Windows HPC Server 2008:
- Documentation illustrates how you can configure your computer cluster to use Windows HPC Server with MATLAB Distributed Computing Server.
- Product Web site for Microsoft HPC Server provides detailed information about the Microsoft products.