The MathWorks Finance team is a dynamic group responsible for accounting and reporting on the Company’s financial results, while also identifying and delivering meaningful insights into the underlying business operations. As a senior member of the Finance team, the North America Assistant Controller, will be responsible for the preparation and review of our consolidated financial statements and related internal reporting, oversight of compliance with accounting policies and documentation standards, as well as supporting the creation of the annual US GAAP revenue and expense plan and in depth analyses to support key business decisions.
The role requires an interest and ability to work with systems to efficiently produce, report, measure and analyze data, strong interpersonal and communication skills to gather and evaluate information, effectively present findings and discuss recommendations and a desire to work in an iterative and collaborative environment.
- Lead the monthly close process, managing resources and timelines to ensure the timely and accurate preparation and review of journal entries, reconciliations and analysis to support financial results.
- Oversee the preparation of monthly and quarterly internal management reporting, focusing on delivering timely, accurate and meaningful information to stakeholders.
- Support the worldwide finance and reporting team, ensuring efficient use of technology, compliance with internal standards and accounting practices and provide training and support for those in the US and in other offices.
- Drive internal process improvements; help to measure and assess performance of the global finance organization and work to identify and implement opportunities to eliminate, standardize, simplify and automate accounting related tasks.
- Partner with members of the North American Finance team to develop meaningful analysis, evaluating financial and non-financial metrics, to provide valuable information to key stakeholders to assist in decision making and provide insights into our performance.
- Partner with the Financial Planning and Analysis team to coordinate the creation of the annual revenue and expense plan.
- Identify opportunities to improve the planning process, working with others in Finance to build models that will support revenue, capital and expense planning, regular forecasting and improve our ability to measure performance.
- This role may also be called upon to provide support for business transactions, including technical accounting documentation and valuation support as well as support for the annual financial statement audit, including preparation or review of materials or disclosures.
- A bachelor's degree and 12 years of professional work experience (or equivalent experience) is required.
- CPA preferred
- Strong project management experience
- Experience in financial reporting (internal management or external reporting)
- Experience in worldwide reporting and consolidation
- Strong knowledge of accounting terms and processes, with a focus on US GAAP and revenue recognition
- Experience working in an international environment
- Hands-on experience with an ERP system (preferably Oracle)
- Effective communication skills with all level of personnel is essential
It’s the chance to collaborate with bright, passionate people. It’s contributing to software products that make a difference in the world. And it’s being part of a company with an incredible commitment to doing the right thing – for each individual, our customers, and the local community.
MathWorks develops MATLAB and Simulink, the leading technical computing software used by engineers and scientists. The company employs 5000 people in 16 countries, with headquarters in Natick, Massachusetts, U.S.A. MathWorks is privately held and has been profitable every year since its founding in 1984.
The MathWorks, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. View The EEO is the Law poster and its supplement.
The pay transparency policy is available here.
MathWorks participates in E-Verify. View the E-Verify posters here.