This add-on is supported for MATLAB R2016a - R2018b.
This add-on library extends MATLAB Support Package for Arduino Hardware to read from capacitive sensors built with two Arduino pins, a resistor, and a piece of foil. With this add-on, you can estimate the proximity or touch by reading the capacitance value measured in arbitrary units.
% Create arduino object with the add-on library
a = arduino('COM38', 'Uno', 'Libraries', 'PaulStoffregen/CapacitiveSensor');
% Create capacitive sensor object
sensor = addon(a, 'PaulStoffregen/CapacitiveSensor', 'D9', 'D2');
% Obtain sensed capacitance
cap = readCapacitance(sensor, 30);
It includes documentation and an example that demonstrates the use with the capacitive sensor to detect touch or proximity.
Important: Before using this add-on library in MATLAB, you need to install the CapacitiveSensor Arduino library. Here are the instructions:
1. Download the zip file from https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/CapacitiveSensor/archive/0.5.1.zip
2. Unpackage the zip into local directory and rename the folder to ‘CapacitiveSensor’.
3. Move the ‘CapacitiveSensor’ folder into the "libraries" folder inside your Arduino sketchbook folder:
On Windows, the default path is "My Documents\Arduino\libraries\"
On Mac, the default path is "~/Documents/Arduino/libraries/"
On Linux, the default path is "/home/<username>/Arduino/libraries"
1. After installing this add-on library and the required Arduino library, type "listArduinoLibraries" in MATLAB to see if the add-on is properly installed.
2. Wire up the Arduino board and the add-on device properly before creating the object to avoid a connection error in MATLAB.
3. Refer to the documentation for details on usage and syntax. It can be found under Supplemental Software in the product documentation.
Feel free to contact the MATLAB Hardware Team if you have questions about this add-on library:
MathWorks MATLAB Hardware Team (2022). Legacy Capacitive Sensor Add-On Library for Arduino (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/57170-legacy-capacitive-sensor-add-on-library-for-arduino), MATLAB Central File Exchange. Retrieved .
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
Inspired by: MATLAB Support Package for Arduino Hardware
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!