Support for MATLAB Updates in MATLAB Runtime: Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is an update in the context of MATLAB Runtime?
MATLAB releases several software updates within each release. Starting in R2019a, there is now a MATLAB Runtime installer tied to each of these MATLAB software updates. Running the installer will install the MATLAB Runtime that corresponds to the MATLAB software update. For more information about updates to MATLAB software, see Updates.
2. How do I download a MATLAB Runtime installer tied to a MATLAB software update?
If you have updated your MATLAB software, the
compiler.runtime.download function will download the MATLAB Runtime installer that corresponds to the update level of your MATLAB software.
You can also download a MATLAB Runtime installer that corresponds to the latest MATLAB software update.
3. What should I expect when I install an application using an application installer created using the Application Compiler or Library Compiler?
An application installer created using any of the MATLAB Compiler apps such as the Application Compiler or Library Compiler will install a MATLAB Runtime at the same update version as the MATLAB software that created it. If there is an existing installation of MATLAB Runtime at a lower update version than the one being installed, it will be updated to the new update version. If the existing installation of MATLAB Runtime is at a higher update version, then it will be left at that higher version.
4. What happens to my existing MATLAB Runtime installation after running a MATLAB Runtime installer tied to a MATLAB software update?
Running a MATLAB Runtime installer tied to a software update will remove an existing installation of the runtime for that release and install the MATLAB Runtime at the update level the installer was created with. MATLAB Runtime installations from other releases will remain untouched.
On Mac and Linux platforms, if you do not specify the location of your existing MATLAB Runtime installation, the installer will install the runtime in the new location that you specify. As a result, you will end up with two installations of the MATLAB Runtime from the same release—one which does not contain the update runtime and one which does.
5. Do I need to manage multiple MATLAB Runtime installations within the same release?
No. All applications created using a particular release of MATLAB are tied to that release and are not specific to an update level.
6. Do I need to update my MATLAB Runtime installation when a MATLAB software update becomes available?
Update the MATLAB Runtime installation only if your application needs an updated runtime. This is applicable if the application you want to run has been created using MATLAB software that has been updated.
7. When I try to install my application using the packaged installer, I get a compatibility error during the installation of the runtime. How do I address this?
You may be using an offline installer. Using a machine that has access to the internet, download and install the full MATLAB Runtime installer.