Support for Windows 7 was introduced at MATLAB R2009a. System requirements for all releases of MATLAB can be found at the link below:
While unsupported, some earlier versions of MATLAB may still run on Windows 7. In order to install an earlier release, you may have to run the installer in compatibility mode for a previous version of Windows. Follow the instructions below to run the installer in compatibility mode:
NOTE: If you are installing from a DVD you will need to create a shortcut to the installer first. To do so, right click on the setup.exe on the DVD and select "Create a Shortcut". When prompted save the shortcut to the desktop. In the workaround below refer to the shortcut file rather than the actual setup.exe file.
- Right click on the installer file setup.exe and select the "Properties" option.
- Go to the "Compatibility" tab or the shortcut properties.
- Check the box "Run this program in Compatibility Mode for:".
- Set this field to "Windows Vista" or "Windows XP".
NOTE: You may need to check "Change Settings For All Users" and the option to "Disable visual themes."
5) Press OK to confirm the settings.
6) Double click on setup.exe to launch the installer again.
If you are able to complete the installation of MATLAB, you may also need to run MATLAB in compatibility mode as well. If MATLAB does not start after installation, run through the steps above for the shortcut for MATLAB. You may also want to see the Technical Support solution "Why am I unable to start MATLAB R2008b or earlier on Windows 7?" linked to here: