Guidelines for Speed and Area Optimizations
The HDL modeling guidelines are a set of recommended guidelines for creating Simulink® models, MATLAB Function blocks, and Stateflow® charts for code generation with HDL Coder™. In addition to providing architectural guidance, because the generated code targets hardware platforms such as FPGAs, ASICs, and SoCs, you can use these guidelines to optimize your design for speed or area on the target hardware.
List of Guidelines and Severity Levels
- Guidelines for Speed and Area Optimizations - By Numbered List
List of speed and area optimization guidelines in ascending order of Guideline ID.
- HDL Modeling Guidelines Severity Levels
Various severity levels associated with the HDL modeling guidelines and their description.
Guidelines for Area Optimizations
- Resource Sharing Settings for Various Blocks
Recommended settings for using the resource sharing optimization effectively for various blocks.
- Resource Sharing of Subsystems and Floating-Point IPs
Recommended settings for using the resource sharing optimization effectively for Subsystems and floating-point IPs.
- Resource Sharing Guidelines for Vector Processing and Matrix Multiplication
Resource sharing is an area optimization in which HDL Coder identifies multiple functionally equivalent resources and replaces them with a single resource.
Guidelines for Speed Optimizations
- Distributed Pipelining and Clock-Rate Pipelining Guidelines
The code generator introduces registers when you specify certain block implementations or use certain settings.
- Insert Distributed Pipeline Registers for Blocks with Vector Data Type Inputs
Recommended settings for using the distributed pipelining optimization effectively with vector inputs.